Once a patient starts exploring options for replacing a missing tooth, they realize that there are several different options. For those who want to improve the health of the mouth and the appearance of the smile, dental implants are becoming the most popular choice. Dental implants are a long-term solution for missing teeth that provide the stability and look of natural teeth.
The process for receiving dental implants as a restorative service goes as follows:
- Consultation. During this visit, we meet with you to examine your mouth, take x-rays, and answer any questions that you may have about the dental implant process.
- Treatment plan. Developing a treatment plan is unique to each individual patient. We consider timeline, budget, and goals when helping our patients determine which restorative solution is best for them. For dental implants, we must also consider the health of the jawbone to ensure it is sufficient for dental implants.
- Preparation. If we determine that dental implants are the right option, we will schedule a series of appointments. Any tooth decay or extractions will be handled in preparation for the implant procedure.
- Implant Surgery. Placing dental implants is an outpatient procedure. You will be given sedation while the dentist places the implant securely into the jawbone. Once there, it will be left to heal. The jawbone will begin to fuse around the implant giving a stable foundation for the replacement tooth. This process can take several months.
- Final restoration. Once the jawbone has full healed, the final restoration can be placed. This can include an abutment and a dental crown, bridge, or dentures.
Dental implants are the closest option to natural teeth. Because they are secure in the jawbone, you can have the confidence to bite, chew, and speak just as you did before you experienced tooth loss. Losing your teeth can be traumatic, but the restoration process doesn’t have to be. If you are ready to take the first step to a new smile, please call us today.