Optimal gum health is a crucial part of having a healthy smile for a lifetime. When we see patients at our Redlands, CA office for an appointment, their teeth are cleaned by experienced and licensed dental hygienists. In addition to cleaning their teeth, we discuss ways to keep the gums healthy and prevent gum disease.
TIPS FOR KEEPING YOUR TEETH AND GUMS HEALTHY:
- Practice good oral hygiene at home, brushing the teeth at least twice each day and flossing once each day.
- Consume a nutritious diet; avoid foods and beverages with high sugar content.
- If you are unable to brush after a meal, consider rinsing the mouth or chewing sugar-free gum to eliminate food debris.
- Visit the dentist twice a year.
For those patients who have gum disease, we offer treatment options that cater to the specific needs of the individual as well as the stage of the disease.
For mild gum disease, also called gingivitis, there are typically only minor symptoms such as gums that bleed when brushing, mild inflammation, discolored gums, or persistent bad breath. In most cases, patients can address the symptoms of gingivitis with a professional cleaning and improved oral hygiene at home.
For advanced gum disease, treatment becomes more involved and may include:
- Scaling & Root planing – This procedure removes bacteria and infection from the pockets below the gum line and then smooths out the tooth root to prevent future plaque buildup.
- Antibiotics – These may be needed to eliminate bacteria and infection.
- Surgery– Some patients with advanced periodontitis may need surgery to reverse severe damage.
At Pure Gold Professionals in Dentistry, your gum health is important to us. If you are in the Redlands, CA area, call us at [phone] and schedule a time to learn more about the prevention and treatment of gum disease.