Tooth loss can have devastating effects on your self-image. To assist you in maintaining the highest level of confidence in your appearance, as well as your chewing and speaking capabilities, we may discuss tooth replacement using a partial denture.
There are several advantages to partial denture treatment from Pure Gold Professionals in Dentistry in Redlands, CA. These include:
- Improved confidence and appearance. There is nothing like closing a gap in your smile to elevate your satisfaction with your appearance.
- Chewing function. When teeth are missing from one side of the mouth, the opposite side is often favored, which can lead to undue stress on teeth as well as the jaw.
- Clear speech. This is especially noticeable when the front top teeth are missing, as these structures are important to making certain sounds.
- Alignment and spacing. Teeth keep each other in line. When tooth loss leaves a gap, surrounding teeth shift and turn. This invites plaque accumulation, which then leads to decay and gum disease.
- Structural integrity. Even distribution is crucial to maintaining healthy teeth across the upper and lower arches.
- Facial support. Teeth, or their replacements, hold up the muscles and tissues of the cheeks and lips.
- Preparing for full dentures. Wearing a partial denture, you develop the muscle control you will need should you require full dentures in the future.
THE IMPORTANCE OF HYGIENE FOR PARTIAL DENTURES
If you are considering partial dentures to replace a few missing teeth, it is important that you understand the value of good hygiene habits. Without adequate hygiene, individuals with partial dentures are at a much higher risk of developing potentially serious oral conditions. These include:
- Gingivitis or gum disease
- Gum recession
- Root caries, or cavities on exposed root surfaces due to recession
Just like you brush your teeth, your partial denture needs to be cleansed in a similar manner. Because the fixture is relatively fragile in order to mimic the appearance of natural teeth, it is wise to clean the denture over a towel or soft surface. Many standard toothpastes contain tiny abrasives, which are detrimental to the artificial teeth on your denture. We can recommend products, and are happy to demonstrate proper cleaning to help you maintain your denture in excellent condition.
Learn more about your options for tooth replacement at Pure Gold Professionals in Dentistry.