When patients undergo orthodontics treatment they understand that it’s not a quick procedure with instant results. It takes time to shift your teeth into proper position and it’s important to take care of your teeth and gums during that process. Dr. Terry Vines of Pure Gold Professionals in Dentistry works with many patients who are undergoing either traditional braces or Invisalign to improve their smiles. He offers the following tips to help patients keep their mouths healthy during orthodontic treatment:
- The brackets, wires, and rubber bands that are often used in traditional braces can attract and trap tiny food particles, which can lead to tooth decay, bad breath, and gum disease. Patients should brush thoroughly after each meal and floss every night to remove these particles completely.
- Flossing between teeth can be challenging because of the brackets and wires. Most dentists will recommend special tools that can help such as a floss threader, an interproximal (proxy) brush, and an air flosser to help reach the difficult spots.
- Most foods can be eaten even with braces, however, there are certain foods that should be avoided such as corn on the cob, hard pretzels, popcorn, taffy, and foods that are difficult to bite like apples and bagels.
- Patients who play sports should take care to protect their braces and their mouth during athletic participation. Consider using a mouth guard to protect the braces in case of impact.
- After braces, many patients receive a retainer. It’s important to brush the retainer every time you brush your teeth with water and disinfect it at least once a week.
- Patients using Invisalign to improve their smiles have an easier time brushing and taking care of their teeth during treatment because the plastic alignment trays can be removed for eating and brushing. However, it’s still important to remember to brush thoroughly, floss every day, and keep the alignment trays clean and free from food particles.
If you’re undergoing orthodontic treatment or are considering your teeth straightening options, call Dr. Dr. Terry Vines today to schedule a consultation. He can discuss your many options, talk about the procedures for each, and help you make sure your smile is strong and beautiful.