Keeping the smile healthy is essential for aesthetics and proper function. While patients think of brushing their teeth twice a day to maintain a beautiful smile, there is often much more that goes into oral health and wellness. Dr. Terry Vines is a dentist from Redlands, CA who provides dental health tips for new and existing patients.
How can I improve my dental health?
Many patients who visit Dr. Terry Vines will ask him about the ways to keep the smile healthy and strong. Patients want to avoid problems such as tooth loss, dental caries, and periodontal disease. When patients follow these specific tips, they can improve their oral health over time and maintain a beautiful smile:
- Brush after every meal. As a patient eats and drinks, they are leaving behind food particles and sugars on the surfaces of the teeth. These can become detrimental to one’s oral health, as they can contribute to the formation of cavities. Addressing decay starts with brushing the teeth after every meal. Brushing should last approximately 2 minutes and should reach all areas of the smile. Patients should also clean their tongue, which can harbor bacteria harmful to the smile.
- Floss after every meal. Also, patients should floss their teeth after every meal and snack as well. Though this is the preferred recommendation, Dr. Terry Vines understands that it is not always possible. Patients should, at the least, floss at the end of the day before bed and after brushing.
- Visit the dentist for routine cleanings and examinations. When Redlands, CA area patients visit their dentist every six months, they give the dental team time to monitor the health of the smile and address any problems that may develop. Conditions that form can be treated successfully when caught in their earlier stages. This includes periodontal disease and tooth decay, which can significantly impact the health of the smile. Additionally, patients can ask their dentist questions about their oral health during these visits and educate themselves further on how to keep their smile beautiful!
- Call the dentist when problems arise. If you are experiencing a lost restoration or a toothache, it is crucial to call the dentist in between routine visits for assistance. Often when patients call the dentist when a problem starts, treatment is minimal and successful. Patients who let their condition go without treatment may be risking further damage to the smile and more expensive treatment down the road. Don’t delay when problems arise and make a connection with the dentist when issues develop.
- Eat a healthy diet. Many patients don’t realize that nutrition can impact their smiles. Patients who consume many beverages, such as sodas and red wines, can experience cavities or discoloration. Foods high in sugars and carbohydrates can contribute to the development of decay or disease if patients do not care for their smile immediately after consuming. Patients should focus on only enjoying sweets and sodas every now and then. They should also take care of the teeth as soon as possible to remove sugars and acids that can stick to the enamel of the teeth.
- Address tooth loss immediately. Patients who experience the loss of natural adult teeth are encouraged to work with their dentist to address the problem as soon as possible. When a tooth is lost and not replaced, the remaining teeth can shift out of place. This results in several gaps and noticeable misalignment that may only be addressed with orthodontic work. We welcome patients who are experiencing tooth loss to visit with Dr. Terry Vines to discuss the tooth replacement options available to them. This is critical to the appearance and function of the smile as well. Our team offers a wide selection of services, including partial dentures, full dentures, dental bridges, and dental implants.
Schedule your visit with Dr. Terry Vines today!
At Pure Gold Professionals in Dentistry, our team is proud to educate patients on the many ways in which they can keep their smiles beautiful and healthy. If you live in the area of Redlands, CA and are interested in working with a dentist that offers quality, comprehensive care, contact us at [phone] and visit us at 303 Brookside Avenue. We are currently accepting new patients!
Call Dr. Terry Vines of Pure Gold Professionals in Dentistry of Redlands, CA to discuss dental health tips for a beautiful smile for life. [phone]